Thursday, January 13, 2011

What Are Your Favorite Apple Varieties?

I have been trying to decide what varieties of apples to plant in the next year or two. I know a few of my favorites, like Cortland and Northern Spy, but thought I'd try a few new varieties. Luckily the local health food store has a wide variety of apples to try. I've tried a number of apples and made a list of some of the ones that I like and don't like.

Like:
Cortland
Northern Spy
Esopus Spitzenberg or just Spitzenberg
Arkansas Black
Golden Delicious
Fameuse

Still Looking to Try These:
Ashmead's Kernel
Winesap
Duchess of Oldenberg
Ginger Gold
Black Limbertwig

Ambivalent:
Braeburn
Fuji
Yellow Transparent
Lodi
Dolgo Crab Apple
Rome Beauty
Jonathan
McIntosh

Dislike:
Gala
Pinova/Pinata
Red Delicious
Empire

There are lots of other apple varieties that I would like to try and may in the future. Tom Brown is a great conservator of rare and once thought to be lost apple varieties. He has found apples like Junaluska, Ten Ounce, Stump the World... You can see the list of the varieties he has found at the Apple Search website and can even order trees if you want to try something really unusual or nearly extinct. I think I just might.

No comments:

Post a Comment