Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Higher Omega-3 to Omega-6 ratio

I've been looking up foods with a higher omega-3 to omega-6 ratio to try and eat more of those types of foods to balance out all of the omega-6 that I get from grains and non-grass fed beef. Grass fed beef is too expensive for me at this point. I think the ideal thing to do will be to raise my own livestock in the future, but that is a dormant plan right now. I looked up a whole host of whole foods on Nutrition Data to see the amounts of omega-3 to omega-6. I found a short list of mostly vegetables that have more omega-3 than 6 and here it is.

Omega-3 Higher Than Omega-6

Broccoli
Radishes
Spinach
Lettuce
Collards
Green beans
Green cabbage, cooked is best
Oregano
Basil
Pak choi
Rapini
Brussels sprouts
Kale
Cantaloupe
Summer squash
Zucchini
Hubbard
Turnip greens
Turnips
Spearmint
Sage
Arugula
Sweet marjoram
Tarragon
Thyme
Purslane

A number of other vegetables were close to a 1 to 1 ratio but had slightly more omega-6 than 3 like rosemary. Most vegetables are closer to a 1 to 1 than grains or meat. So eat your vegetables.

No comments:

Post a Comment