Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Growing Whole Grains

I've been interested in growing my own grains for a while and have read a couple books about growing them in the backyard garden. My favorite is probably Small-Scale Grain Raising by Gene Logsdon. I recently read Homegrown Whole Grains by Sara Pitzer, which had some useful recipes and a couple of ideas on making your own dehulling machine.

I'm pretty interested in growing rice, like the Japanese sushi rice, Koshihikari. I found the variety Koshihikari RI1-100 at Reimer Seeds. I'm pretty excited. I'm also getting more interested in planting a small plot of Hulless Oats, several kinds of Quinoa, Millet, Buckwheat, Teff, Flax, Sorghum, and several ancient wheat varieties. I've found many of these grains from various sources like the Seed Saver's Exchange Yearbook and Bountiful Gardens.

Another source that is a good source of unusual wheat varieties is the Heritage Wheat Conservancy. They have types that are difficult to find like Einkorn.

No comments:

Post a Comment